Democracy Has Prevailed.

August 22, 2007

Altmire Press Conference

NOTE: An earlier version of this posting went out early this morning. After rereading it at work, I was unhappy with some of the tone of it. It felt a little too "snarky blogger to ambush a politico." Not that I have anything against ambushing a politico, I just didn't want that particular message sent this morning.

Re-written.

Got a press release yesterday that said this:
House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (MD-5) will join Congressman Jason Altmire (PA-4) Thursday in Pittsburgh to discuss the accomplishments of the 110th Congress in providing real support for our troops and veterans, including legislation authored by Congressman Altmire that will ensure the proper screening and treatment of traumatic brain injuries (TBI), the signature injury of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that will extend Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) benefits to family members of military personnel who are deployed.
As it's a press conference and as I'm not exactly mainstream press (I am a poor wayfaring blogger/Trav'ling through this world of woe...), I'm hoping to get in and ask a few questions. Mostly about supporting the troops. For instance, we've heard ad infitinum how it's impossible to support the troops and yet disagree with the war. We read a while back about the scandalous conditions at Walter Reed. What are they doing to make sure the troops (and their families) are taken care of? What's being done to hold the administration accountable?

Time permitting, I'd like to ask about Congressman Altmire's vote in favor (and Congressman Hoyer's vote against) the recent restructuring of the FISA statute. If my memory serves me correctly, he said on Night Talk the other night that he's unhappy with the bill that he voted for and is looking forward to revisiting the issue in 6 months. What parts is he unhappy with? How would he change them?

Questions...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I'd really like to go, but that will be really hard for me to pull off. I have some questions for him!

Social Justice NPC Anti-Paladin™ said...

Maybe you can inform him that nutroot's asshat Matt Stoller is gunning for him.

Ask him about gun control too.